lunes, 8 de julio de 2013

HOLIDAYS



1 Complete each sentence with a word from the box:


a) Most of the young people on the boat slept on the deck. in their sleeping bags.
b) As the train drew in to the station, Terry could see her sister waiting on the ….
c) I was so nervous about flying that I left my bag in the…
d) By the time I got to the… , the bus to Scotland had left.
e) As soon as the boat left the… , the storm began.
f) We hadn't had anything to eat, but luckily there was a …on the train.
g) I'm afraid there is only one first-class …free on the boat.
h) Tim reached Paris safely, but his luggage didn't reach its …
i) There was a queue of cars on the … , waiting for the car-ferry to the island.
 j) Our plane nearly crashed into a fire-engine on the…

2 Underline the most suitable word (s):
a) David's plane was cancelled/delayed by thick fog.
b) The ship's owner agreed to give the crew/passengers a pay-rise.
c) The plane from Geneva has just grounded/landed.
d) We hope that you will enjoy your flight/flying.
e) Because of heavy snow, their plane was diverted/deviated to Luton.
f) I won't be long. I'm just packing my last luggage/suitcase.
g) You have to check in/check up an hour before the plane leaves.
 h) All duty free goods must be declared/surrendered at customs.
i) The plane took off/took up and was soon high over the city.
j) I bought a simple/single ticket, as I was going to return by car.
k) A sign above the seats in the plane says 'Fasten your life belt/seat belt'.
1) On the plane the flight attendant/waitress brought me a newspaper.

3 Use a word or words from exercises 1 or 2 to complete each sentence. The word may be in a different form.
a) I had to cancel my tickets, because I was ill and couldn't travel.
b) The train for London is now arriving at… three.
c) The plane …on time but arrived half an hour late.
d) We finally reached our… after travelling all day.
e) It was hard to find a seat on the train as there were so many …
f) While we were waiting at the station we had a bite to eat in the …
g) I felt seasick so I went to my …and tried to sleep.
h) Do you want a return ticket, or a …?
i) The customs officer asked Bill if he had anything to …
j) There is a small …here for fishing boats and yachts.
k) How much …can I take with me on the plane?
1) The 8.55 from Hull will be 30 minutes late. We apologise for the…

4 Match the words in the box with the suitable definition:


a) A journey by ship for pleasure a cruise
b) A journey by plane
c) The plan of a journey
d) An informal word for journey. Sometimes meaning a short journey
e) A journey for a scientific or special purpose
f) A holiday which includes organised travel and accommodation
g) Taking journeys, as a general idea
h) A journey by sea
i) An organised journey to see the sights of a place
j) A journey from one side of the sea to the other

5 Use the words from the previous exercise in these sentences.

a) The travel agent will send you the itinerary... for your trip.
b) My neighbours went on a guided of Rome.
c) Last time I went from England to France we had a very rough
d) The first prize in the competition is a luxury Mediterranean
e) When you go on a/an , you pay one price for everything.
f) The college organized a/an to search for the ancient ruins.
g) Olympic announces the arrival of OA 269 from Athens.
h) The Titanic sank on its first in 1912.
i) is one of my main interests.
j) Mr Dean is away on a business at the moment. Can I help you?

6 Replace the words in italics in each sentence with a word from the box.

camp-site      book                hostel                         accommodation                                 double room                                                  hitch-hike                              guest-house                                              a fortnight                                    vacancy                                            porter



a) I stayed in France for two weeks last year. .a fortnight..
b) It's difficult to find anywhere to stay here in the summer
c) We had no money so we had to get lifts in other people's cars
d) I'd like a room for the night please. A room for two people
e) The place where we stayed wasn't a hotel but a private house where you pay to stay and have meals
f) I'd like to reserve three single rooms for next week, please
g) It was raining, and we couldn't find a place to put our tent
h) I'd like a room for the night, please. Do you have a pee one?
i) The school has its own place for students to stay
j) We gave a tip to the person who carried our bags in the hotel



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario